Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hong Kong (and one naughty monkey!)

Once again it's taken me too long to get back to posting. I spent Christmas in Hong Kong with Uncle Brian and Aunt Beth. I flew into Shenzhen (the city in mainland China across from HKG) and crossed the border overland. Entering Hong Kong overland for the first time I finally got a sense that the region really was much bigger than the island plus Kowloon.

Eating constant Chinese food has gotten to me a lot less this time around and I haven't notices as much of a craving for western food. However, arriving in Hong Kong after awhile in China, one realizes it was there. Eating proper pizzas and burgers along with holiday home cooking is quite a treat after 3.5 months in China.

Anyway I spent most of the time hanging out with my aunt and uncle and relaxing. We went to a couple of parties where i was kind of the young guy but of course everyone was friendly and to someone who finds both Asia and business interesting it was fun to listen to the stories and discussions of all of the Hong Kong dwellers.

After one of our shopping trips we had a very friendly cab driver who was into practicing her English. She was really quite cheerful and was letting me know I needed coffee after hearing me yawn. Then she decided I needed strawberries because she had heard something on the radio about strawberries helping people to stay wakeful. Soon she was telling us how she was a 50 year old woman but when the music turns on she "just has to move" like a "naughty little monkey". I suppose I feel precisely the same way about dancing but I had to stifle my laughter at the whole thing while in the cab because it was just so ridiculous and random.

That's the story on Hong Kong. A new post will follow this one soon because I've just purchased a digital camera here and am putting together the basic photo tour of life and sights in Jilin.


No comments: