Wednesday, September 26, 2007

the post before I go on vacation

Ni men hao,

It hasn't been many days since I last posted so I suppose I can't say a lot. One thing worth mentioning is that I've seen fireworks out my window (I have a great view of the river and city) about 9 times in the nearmonth I've been in China. They are very popular for private parties and weddings and of course, all festivals. Speaking of festivals, the mid-autumn day has just passed. The mid autumn day is a day to enjoy the full moon and eat mooncakes. Having been to China previously during a mooncake festival I was determined to not receive and especially not eat any mooncakes. However a guy at our favorite dumpling restaurant (he might have been the owner) served us each a peanut mooncake and closely monitored our consumption thereof after which he told us we were wasting our time studying Chinese--English was the language to know.

Anyway I head off on vacation for the National Holiday soon. I stood in a line to get train tickets for an hour today only to not get all of the train tickets and have to adjust plans. I will be standing for seven hours on a train this coming Saturday, it will be crowded and fun. We are headed to the town of Yanji, in a Korean majority area to hang around town and possibly go on some day hikes--the scenery and terrain is apparently amazing. From there we will head to Changbai Shan one of the cool mountains China has so many of and there's a lake on top which is in both China and North Korea. I'd better head to study Chinese, but I'll of course be writing again after the break.

No comments: